Re: Conversion between SQL*Forms and Oracle Forms

From: Glenn Nicholas <Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 10:23:57 +0000

Alan,

You can convert Forms 3 applications to Forms 4 (and Forms 2 as well if you convert to Forms 3 first). There are some known bugs which you will encounter, and usually work arounds to match. Oracle support can help you with those no doubt.

However, you should be aware that a converted Forms 4 application does not look or feel like a GUI application (be it Windows or Motif or Macintosh). You could try and add a few elements to tart it up, but don't expect it to be quick or to get flash results. We have a large application, and have decided to redesign/rebuild from the ground up. We would have loved to have a simple upgrade path, believe me. But I think you will find it doesn't really exist.

Having said all that, Forms 4 applications will still run in character mode much as they did under Forms 3. It is only if you want a GUI application that the conversion process falls short. And naturally everyone wants a GUI application. Given the nature of the change from character mode to GUI, I find it hard to imagine a 'conversion' program that could do the full job.

In article <2ua11d$2cun_at_postoffice.manassas.ibm.com>

           beal_at_lfs.loral.com "Alan Beal" writes:

:Can SQL*Forms applications run under Oracle Forms? Is there a conversion
:that is required? Does it work 100% of the time? Any problems or bugs?

--
Glenn Nicholas, Concept             |   Internet: Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk
Ph: +44 908 221313                  | Compuserve: 100070,3562