Re: Information about Consulting Services- for a project needed

From: Leigh R. Taylor <leigh_at_neptune.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 14:09:20 +0000

In article <1994Jun23.135325.23591_at_njitgw.njit.edu>

           sxm2002_at_hertz.njit.edu "Madduluri Sridhar" writes:

> I am doing a case study (project) on a small organization dealing with
> consultancy services.I am using ER Diagrams,DFDs, Structure Charts and Object
> oriented analysis & design (Coad/Yourdan) for the design. I am implementing in
> Power Builder (frontend) and Sybase (backend)databases.
>
> I am not very clear how a typical consulting firm works. So I want to
> hear from you (actual consultants), how exactly consultancy firms work in real
> life.I want to know how they function, different entities and their attributes
> involved (till now I could think of customer,consultant, project,personal
> agencies, bank financial services as major entities). Please also let me know
> which software or databases you are using for daily functionalties of the
> organizations. Please let me know if any of you are working on a similar appli
> cation or if you have any valuable suggestions to give.

Erm, you speak to a customer, if they want something you decide whether you can do it - if you can then you do. If you can't you tell them and then refer them to someone better qualified than you.

If you want piles of paper describing business functions, flowcharts and entity descriptions you would be better off asking Andersen Consulting and others of that ilk. It is what they do for a living. Me, I just provide solutions to customers and occasionally pay the odd bill...

Regards,

--
Leigh R. Taylor              | Low cost DIP for small businesses
Neptune Imaging Systems Ltd  | PC Based voicemail and fax on demand systems