Re: Freddy File Finder: Finding Disk Files By Content

From: Jon Berger <jonb_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 22:59:23 GMT

David Hiltz (dhiltz_at_.wh.whoi.edu) wrote:
> Isn't this what the unix "find" command is for?

Just a wild guess here, but the reference to COM and EXE files, and the mention of diskettes, makes me suspect that this product runs on platforms other than Unix, which might make it a little less totally useless than you guys seem to think it is. Not to say it's the hottest software product since Dartmouth Basic or anything, but there _is_ a world outside of Unix, or so I've been told.

> I find the ability to execute any command on a matched path and filename
> (-exec) very usefull. Does you program do that?

I generally use -print and pipe to xargs, myself.

   -__ __ /_   Jon Berger              "If you push something hard enough,
  //_// //_/   jonb_at_netcom.com          it will fall over."
_/ ---------                              - Fudd's First Law of Opposition