Re: Oracle MVS port to Unix?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 24 Jun 1994 10:19:45 -0600

Tim Carey (tcarey_at_tad.eds.com) wrote:
> Has anyone ported Oracle from MVS to Unix?

Assuming same release of Oracle on both ...

> What are the pitfalls (e.g., differences in SQL syntax, functions, features,
> stored procedures, administration, etc.)?

... no differences in Oracle server side (except data file naming). Differences in MMI, ie: if you used block mode terminals, and switch to windows, you will see a big change in the way users work (and a big smile).

> Are their 'relative' performance differences in response time?
> Number of users?

Depends on the size of the MVS box & the size/make of the UNIX box. Also depends on on the net, whether you used a Gate to access MVS, etc. In general, I would guess that the UNIX access - being (usually) more straight-forward - would be faster.

> Thanks,
> Tim Carey

/Hans Received on Fri Jun 24 1994 - 18:19:45 CEST

Original text of this message