Re: Forms 4 - Startup SLOWWWWWW...

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 24 Jun 94 12:00:07 +1000

In article <772229178snz_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk>, gjwalker_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk (Gary John Walker) writes:
> Forms 4 slowness ....
>
> A one-canvas form takes about 14 secs to 'appear' from
> typing in runform etc .... This seems std however simple
> the form is. Same for many-canvased forms.
>
> Except for one form which takes **4 minutes plus** to
> start. Just four canvases. Three master/details and one
> a multi-rec input canvas. No complex pre-form code. I
> guess there's a problem setting up all the items. But
> I cannot see a way of speeding the thing up.
>
> Minimising the number of active processes makes no
> difference. SunOs 4.1 - pre 4.0.12 Forms 4 - Ora 7.0.13.
>
> Any ideas appreciated!

ok. Here are a few things to check (from a VAX/VMS viewpoint).

Is it I/O bound loading in the EXE or the form itself?

   if so then look at how you can reduce that I/O either by installing the    EXE as a shared image or using faster disks or a disk cache.

Is it slow because its doing a lot of paging/swapping trying to load the large EXE and form into RAM?

   if so then making the EXE shareable might help. Increasing RAM for the    whole machine might reduce swapping OR increase the amount of real RAM    available to the process trying to load the EXE and form into memory    would reduce paging/swapping.

   VAX/VMS alows you to adjust how rapidly a process can adjust it's real    RAM usage to meet changing demands. Is there anything in you OS that you    could tweak along these lines?

Is the EXE or form being loaded across a network?

   if so then increase the comms line speed. Or relocate the EXE and form    to a local server which your client box is directly connected to or has    a very fast connection to.

If none of the above work then is there any way you could pre-load the EXE and form(s) into memory so that I/O is removed from the equation all to gether.

Just some ideas to look into ...

Have fun.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras