Re: Oracle 7.1 Enhancements

From: Mark Miller <mem8321_at_u.cc.utah.edu>
Date: 22 Jun 1994 18:46:37 -0600

Michael Sallwasser wrote:

>Let us say we want a list of employees whose commission for the week
>is over $400, and another list of employees whose commision is less
>than or equal to $400. Since commission is an illogical or not applicable
>concept for non-sales people, people who aren't sales people should logically
>not appear in either list. And, as I understand it, by the rules of ANSI SQL,
>they would not.

I agree with the rules of ANSI SQL for > and <. It is <> that I have a hard time with.
  Select * from employee where commission <> 400.00  should return all the employees that do not have a commission of $400.00,   NOT all employees who have a commission that is not 400.00 as defined   by ANSI SQL.

  A better example: You want to query all the employees that may live out   of Nebraska.

      You have to use
             Select * from employee where nvl(state,'ZZ') <> 'NB';
      instead of
             Select * from employee where state <> 'NB';