Re: Need V6 defrag script

From: Gary Smith <derby_at_csn.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 13:58:30 GMT

Lee E Parsons (lparsons_at_world.std.com) wrote:
: I have a remote location with a ugly fragmentation problem under V6. The
: admin is relatively new, we dont have a modem hookup and they are running
: a OS we dont have access to here.

: This means 1) I cant dial in, 2) dont want them to try imp/exp and
: 3) cant sent them a precompiled degrag program.

I'm don't believe imp/exp will solve your fragmentation issue. From my experiences exporting the data with compress extents and then re-importing it seems to work because the data attempts to become contigious, however the fragments still exist. This can be checked by looking at the number of distinct block_id's from dba_free_space.

: I could send them the source to one of the program I have but I dont
: think they could get it compiled. Does any body have a sql script that
: examines dba_extents and creates the create table/drop table statements
: needed to coalesce the frags. I know they can run that.

The only guaranteed method of de-fragging a ver 6x database that I'm aware of is to export the data with compress extents, then re-create the database using the reuse option with each named file.

Please, if anyone knows anything differently, please post it here!!!

		    Mike Leblanc, Support Engineer
                    Derby Associates, International
                    E-Mail: derby_at_teal.csn.org

--

: If you have something can you mail it to me? Thanx
: --

: Lee E. Parsons
: Systems Oracle DBA lparsons_at_world.std.com