Re: Comments Wanted: Network & DB Mgmt Tools

From: Petter Henrik Hansen <petter_at_fdmetd.UUCP>
Date: 21 Jun 94 10:07:58 GMT

In article <2u5gp4$nnn_at_news.delphi.com>, dagmara_at_news.delphi.com (DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM) writes:
> My client is looking at some network management tools, e.g., Patrol, and
> EcoSystems. they are interested in receiving comments from users. Also,
> if you are using another network management tool, we would like to hear
> about it.
>
> Also, we are trying to evaluate some DBA management tools. Any suggestions/
> comments/opinions about these products are appreciated.
>
> Thanx in advance, I will summarize the results.
>
> Dagmar Anne Bogan
>
> Kopania & Komerovski
> Richardson, TX 75081
>
> dagmara_at_delphi.com

                        UniMaster DBadm 3.2

 Oracle 7.0 and heterogeneous Unix systems in network integrated  administration software.

Using UniMaster DBadm the DBA can administer Oracle databases in a network of homogeneous or heterogeneous Unix systems without using SQL*Net.

Works in conjunction with UniMaster Admin (Unix administration) which means eg. backup of Oracle is not a separate part of a DBA's work but may be handled by the Unis administrator.

The UniMaster DBadm lays above Oracle and the OS and checks with the OS if certain Oracle tasks may be performed. (Do we have anough diskspace, remove files and so on)

The FD Software company has been producing Oracle and Unix administration systems since 1988 on several Unix systems.

The following DBA functions are run from the UniMaster DBadm interface:

Start/Stop

	Show database status and numbers of Oracle users logged on.
	Log active Oracle users out of the database.
	Show Oracle information (memory, processes, semaphores, sgafile)
	Start database.
	Start database in DBA mode.
	Stop database.
	Stop database immediate.
	Stop database abort.
	Cleanup function after eg. power failure.

User administration

	      Create  Change  Drope   Examine
	User	X	X	X	X
	Role	X	X	X	X
	Profile	X	X	X	X

	Resource limit administration.

Export/Import

	Export table.
	Export user.
	Export database.
	Automatic (cron) export.
	Import table.
	Import user.
	Import database. (Rebuild entire database first)

Storage admin

	Show controlfiles.
	Logfile administration.
	Tablespace administration.
	Rollback administration.
	Object spaceadministration.

Archive

	Show archive status.
	Show archived logs.
	Delete archived logs older than a set number of days.
	Stop archive.
	Restore archived logs to a database.

Analyze/Tuning

	Generate statistics for objects.
	Set optimizer mode.
	Monitoring and tuning caches.
	Monitor the alert log and notify the DBA if an error occur.
	Set tresholds on tablespace and cache monitoring so that the DBA
	may be notified if a treshold if reached.
	Pin Oracle packages in the SGA area.

Personal queries

	Create your own SQL*Plus statements and run it on a selected group
	of Oracle databases in the network.

DBadm backup

	OFFLINE backup.
	OFFLINE restore.
	ONLINE backup.
	ONLINE restore.

Utilities

	Show installed Oracle products and versions.
	Show Oracle parameters.
	Access SQL*DBA and SQL*Plus.

			U n i M a s t e r

		Systems management for the unix environment

UniMaster represents an integrated networked approach to Systems Management for the Unix environment. The modular structure makes is easy to adopt UniMaster to the level of functionality needed to support an efficient operations environment for your company. Today UniMaster is used by companies having one single system, and companies running networks with several hundreds systems from several vendors.

UniMaster is a family of co-operative products built on a common Framework. The Framework provides the System Management Applications (SMA) with common services, ensuring the integration between the different SMA's and hiding the complexities of multi-platform operations.

UniMaster makes it easy to keep up with changing needs and gives the best return on your investments.

                        System Management Areas

System Administration - In the day-to-day operation of Unix systems you have to perform a lot of different administrative tasks, like User administration and Storage management. Also, when problems are detected someone will have to correct them. It is in these moments that the efficiency of the system management product is vital. UniMaster does not only provide you with the tools necessary to discover problems, but also give you the possibility to investigate and provide some kind of corrective action.

Database Administration - Databases very often contains your most valuable data. Database systems are also very complex products and need special care and skills. UniMaster integrates the operation of databases with the rest of the system, and frees your database administrators to other productive work.

Automated Operations - When operations occur, UniMaster can schedule actions automatically. A job scheduler is also provided to automate your batch jobs and other routines.

Performance and Capacity management - Pinpoint bottlenecks and review historical data on capacity.

Security management - Detect security breaches and possible viruses.

Application management - To provide for the management of your own application, UniMaster gives you very powerful functions and tools ike a shell script administrator, DBADM administration, logging facilities and a comprehensive menu functionality. See also the description of Systems integration below. We consider this are to be one of the most important in systems management.

                        Openness and standards

UniMaster is built on standard interfaces and an open architecture. The Frammework is designed to take advantage of new standards like OSF's DCE as they emerge. The Event Notification Services can deliver all messages and alarms in SNMP format to other Network Management Systems. For companies using Hewlett Packard's HP OpenView platform, a special integration module is available. There will also be special integration modules for IBM's Netview/6000 and other leading Network Management products in the near future.

                        Systems Integration

To manage a network of Unix systems with mission critical applications in an efficient way, the operations department needs a systems management platform as the base for integrating applications and special routines. UniMaster provides powerful tools, interfaces andd hooks which makes this job very efficient and automatically creates a standard operations environment.

  • Powerful and easy-to use routines to create a standarised user interface on shell scripts, commands and programs.
  • Customisable menus with multi-session capabilities for your operations staff and end users.
  • Functions to administrate, distribute and execute your own routines on any or several nodes in the network.
  • Make your shell scripts become client/server applications, taking advantage of UniMaster's powerful host selection facilities.
  • Centalise logging and event notification in a way suited to your organisation. Let your own applications and routines take advantage of the powerful Event Notification Services provided by UniMaster.
  • Customise UniMaster functions by plugging in your own routines in UniMaster hooks.

So far, this product is available in Europe only.

For more information please contact:

Petter Henrik Hansen
Product manager

FD Software AS
Hovfaret 11
P.O.Boks 135 Skoyen
N-0212 Oslo, Norway

Compuserve 100121,2076
Internet P.H.Hansen_at_fdsw.no Received on Tue Jun 21 1994 - 12:07:58 CEST

Original text of this message