Re: Cannot connect DB under end user act, but can under oracle!

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 14:35:04 GMT

In article <CrHyBJ.1tu7_at_yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU> litao_at_CS.ColoState.EDU (wu litao) writes:
>In Article: 15194 of comp.databases.oracle
>I wrote:
>
>>I met a "strange" situation, anyone can help me?
>>
>> ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.
>> SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied
>>
>> Oh, I should mention that oracle and the end user have same
>> environment.
>
>Thanks Beverly of Oak Ridge National Laboratory for giving the
>solution:
>1. Login as oracle.
>2. cd bin
>3. chmod 4751 oracle.
>
>I still do not know why it works by changing the original 755 of
>$ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle to new 4751 since it works OK before
>what is happening. If I find it is interesting, I will post it again
>here.

Setting the 4000 bit means "let the regular user assume the privileges of oracle for the duration of this program." So adding it to oracle gives the user oracle's permission to access the shared memory area. The alternative is to make that area group or world read/writeable, which is less secure.

--
Joel Garry       joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com       Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.