Re: PROBLEM with simple SQL-statement

From: Michael Sallwasser <msallwas_at_world.nad.northrop.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 18:52:35 GMT

In article <kooy.3.771678526_at_frw.ruu.nl> kooy_at_frw.ruu.nl (J.W. van der Kooy) writes:
>My plan was to update a column 'amount' with the value of 'price'
>multiplied by an appropriate VAT-rate from another table. I tried this:
>
>SQL> update MYTABLE set AMOUNT = PRICE *
> (select distinct VAT from VATTABLE where CATEG = 2);
>
>It did not work

Try this instead:

     column VAT new_value VAT2

     select distinct VAT
     from VATTABLE
     where CATEG = 2;

     update MYTABLE
     set AMOUNT = PRICE * &VAT2;

Note: This presumes you are using SQL*Plus (which you had stated you were) and that VAT is independent of the record being updated (which you example implied.)

I would appreciate knowing if this helps. Good luck!

Michael Sallwasser  | Down one path is utter dispair and hopelessness. Down
Northrop Grumman    | the other is total destruction. Let us choose wisely.