Re: PowerBuilder vs VisualBasic vs Oracle's CDE vs C++ vs SQLWindows vs ?

From: Marshall Sandene <u77645_at_sys30030.orl.mmc.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 09:46:38

In article <1994Jun14.154747.19154_at_berlioz.nsc.com> tnutter_at_spcfs2.nsc.com (Ted Nutter) writes:
>From: tnutter_at_spcfs2.nsc.com (Ted Nutter)
>Subject: Re: PowerBuilder vs VisualBasic vs Oracle's CDE vs C++ vs SQLWindows vs
>?
>Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 15:47:47 GMT

>Has anyone out there used Powerbuilder Desktop edition? Is it worth buying?
>Would it be a good development tool to create standalone database apps?

Like that guy who liked the Remington shaver so much he bought the company, I just got Powerbuilder Desktop for my machine at home. I use the Enterprise edition at work. Except for the big-boy database interfaces like Sybase and Oracle and the programmer tools and prebuilt objects it is virtually identical to the enterprise edition. You have to by the runtime deployment kit separately if you want to distribute your application. Last month they had a special where if you bought the Desktop software they would throw in the deployment kit for free (a $249 value or so - retail of course). I just got mine the other day. I don't know if this deal is still in effect, but it was one of the incentives that coerced me into reciting the mystical VISA numbers into the phone.

Watcom seems to be a pretty good database although one of the first error messages I got from it had a spelling error. An evil omen? Things that make you go hmmm... Oh, weell, I cen't spill that weell iether. Haven't used Watcom much yet since I use Sybase at work. Why drive the VW when you've got a porsche?

See ya! Received on Fri Jun 17 1994 - 09:46:38 CEST

Original text of this message