Re: Help : Getting consistent view

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 11:57:53 GMT

Chan Kim Bor (a007700_at_hp9000.csc.cuhk.hk) wrote:
: Hi! All Oracle users,

: Currently, my project is running a Oracle ver 7. database in HP-UX
: environment. My colleagues have a question on how to get a consistent image
: for some tables in the database for generating reports. The main requirement
: is consistency when retrieving data, as some related tables are not stable
: and subject to update by other processes. Actually, only part of not the
: whole table is retrieved governed by the WHERE clause. We think of several
: alternatives to solve it, but all have drawback and they are summarized as
: follow :

One comment:

If you retrieve the data in ONE SQL statement, possibly involving multiple tables, Oracle will do this automatically for you (multiversion readconsistency) The SET TRANSACTION READONLY statement will do the same for multiple statements.
For both you will need enough rollback segments, otherwise your query will return 'snapshot to old'.

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands Received on Fri Jun 17 1994 - 13:57:53 CEST

Original text of this message