Re: How much should ORACLE cost?

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 16 Jun 1994 23:58:35 GMT

barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com (Barry Roomberg) writes:

:-> I'm interested in finding out what the approximate cost of
:-> ORACLE V7 and all the associated utilities and connectors
:-> should cost for a 25 user system.

:Anticipate spending around $1,000 per user, and then another
:20% per year for support/updates.

I think this is on the low side for multi-user platforms, and would estimate between $1500 and $2000 per user for the RDBMS and a full set of tools. (Stuff like Forms, Reports, etc.) Support is about right, though.

As the number of users goes up, the cost per user comes down a bit. Oracle has a couple of different pricing options, such as 'concurrent user' and 'named user' that may figure into the estimate, too. And needless to say the price will vary depending on what platform you're on. Competing products (primarily low-end ones) are probably pushing prices down, but I don't think they've reached the $1000/user level quite yet. (At least they hadn't last February.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)