Re: Oracle 7.1 Enhancements

From: Alan Beal <beal_at_ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com>
Date: 16 Jun 1994 17:08:42 GMT

In article <CrEp9o.x1_at_freenet.carleton.ca>, ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Doug Harris) writes:
|> In order to answer my original question by the way, I have been told
|> that indeed Oracle 7.1 will support the SQL92 standard regarding
|> empty strings and NULL.

Excellent writeup! Chris Date has even suggested that there should be more than one type of NULL. The downside of NULLs is the added complexity of the logic handling. Didn't someone write a paper that suggested that 3-valued logic adds considerable complexity and that no one has implemented correctly (or at least not in the same manner)?

We have been bitten by the '' (null string) and NULL problem. The major problem is that some people think they are the same since Oracle implements it that way.

--
Alan Beal
Loral Federal Systems