Re: Re: Creating Database/admin questions

From: Robert L. Manieri <rmanieri_at_novalink.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 08:22:18 EST

> In article <2sl67d$kfh_at_jac.zko.dec.com> anderson_at_dtracy.enet.dec.com (Marian
> >Well, I'm inclined to think that under the Oracle model, totally independen
> >databases is not feasible. I will have data files that I will need to "loa
> >into a database - creating tables and inserting rows on the fly depending o
> >the contents of the file. On systems where we run now, we just go out and
> >create a new database for each datafile we format. When the user is done w
> >the formatted data, he can just delete the database from his system.
> >
> >Any suggestions on how I can achieve a similar thing with Oracle? Perhaps
> >using tablespaces? I've just started reading up on them, but I'm not sure
> >could just start creating tablespaces from an application and/or size them
> >correctly.
>
> You are correct in being apprehensive about programmatically sizing tablespa
> We have a database administrator and from taking with her I have gleened tha
> creating tablespaces, sizing tables and indexes is as much art as it is
> science. If you have the disk capacity to burn you can users the privilege t
> create and drop space-requiring objects (i.e. tables & indexes) and allow th
> dba to clean up after them, but our dba gets very nervous with that idea.
> --
> Michael Sallwasser | Down one path is utter dispair and hopelessness. Down
> Long Beach CA | the other is total destruction. Let us choose wisely.

Michael:
Your DBA is right to get nervous at the thought of people dropping and creating objects all the time. Most of her job is managing the resources of Oracle and the resource that always seems to need the most attention is space.
Remember, when there is a problem with the database, whether caused by something a user did or something the DBA overlooked, the DBA's telephone is the one that rings FIRST!
.
Just my two cents worth

  Bob Manieri                           email : rmanieri_at_novalink.com
  Database Administrator                voice : (302) 594-4163
  First USA Bank, Wilmington, Delaware pager : (609) 342-0314
          It has been said that a DBA is a professional paranoid.
                    Just because you're paranoid,
             doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.