Re: SQL*Net v2 for Windows?

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 22:03:58 GMT

In a previous article, prs9k_at_brain.neuro.virginia.edu (Phil Scarr) says:

>Is there a SQL*Net v2 for Windows yet?

   Yes there is. We are using it. It is a bit more asynchronous than v1 and thus confuses the heck out of most ODBC and non-oracle tools (it does not block the system while waiting for a response from the server). Works fine with the CDE tools though.

>Also, are there plans in the works for a set of Windows tools a-la the
>DOS tools (SQL*DBA, SQL*Loader, etc.)?

   Both 7.1 and the "Workgroup Server" are supposed to have a new tool to replace SQL*DBA ("Oracle Server Manager" or some such name). This may only be available on "server" platforms such as Unix, OS/2, NT etc.

   I just can't picture running SQL*Loader client-server with a PC as a client. It would just be too slow!

  • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ## --