Re: MS ACCESS to ORACLE

From: RCronau <rcronau_at_aol.com>
Date: 15 Jun 1994 23:03:03 -0400

In article <1994Jun14.124133.22198_at_beau.atlanta.dg.com>, flg_at_atlanta.dg.com (Frank Green (Contractor)) writes:

>I am getting ready to start a project that will need to link an
Oracle V7 installation to displays written >using MS ACCESS. (Customer is already committed to access, so other alternatives like
>powerbuilder are not viable). Any hints, sources, documentation
that are available or to which I could >be pointed would be greatly appreciated.

>For example, I know that access comes with its own ODBC driver. Is
that the tool of choice or should >I go with the generic Oracle driver? What about Q&E? Finally, the simplest solution to me would
>seen to be plain old fashioned Oracle Glue. Experiences /
suggestions?

First, if you insist on using MS Access, you will need to get the ODBC drivers for Oracle. I know that Oracle versions are available on CompuServe in the Oracle User's Group Forum. I also believe that there may be Oracle drivers provided with VB 3.0 Pro.

I strongly recommend against going the Access route. The reason is that as far as I can tell, the ODBC interface is a poor one. I have had specific experience trying to use ODBC to connect to Oracle from Access. When attaching tables, any action that results in a "large" query is EXTREMELY SLOW and half the time, seems to HANG THE MACHINE.  My configuration uses SQL*Net TCP/IP 1.2, Oracle's ODBC drivers, 16MB of RAM, and a Gateway 2000 486 66DX2. However, import and export seem to behave properly. I believe the problems are a result of Windows memory management and the large buffering that ODBC attempts to do, although I am not certain. From my experience, you will not be able to deliver an application that uses Access as the front end and Oracle as the back end.

If you have any questions, send me an email with your phone number.

Good luck,

Rick Cronau (rcronau_at_aol.com) Received on Thu Jun 16 1994 - 05:03:03 CEST

Original text of this message