full-text searching using rdbms

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 10:42:00 -0500

-> More specifically, I'd like to know whether you used an index and
-> pointer list? I may have heard that support for these structures is

It's called an inverted file index.
EVERY WORD is stroed in a table in a separate record. It also stores the ID of the recrod that it came from. If you want to get fancy to can also store word position, senetence position, paragraph position, etc to allow for proximity searches for multipl words.

You then query against this table to pull the IDs of the records that the word came from, and then go get the original record.

It is very fast, with a lot of storage overhead. Received on Wed Jun 15 1994 - 17:42:00 CEST

Original text of this message