Re: SQL*Net and Apple

From: Michael Sallwasser <msallwas_at_world.nad.northrop.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 16:26:46 GMT

In article <2tb1k5$j6b_at_lynx.unm.edu> (Ed Fraser) writes:
>In article <2t8026$3pa_at_Venus.mcs.com>, rrogers_at_MCS.COM (Richard Rogers)
>wrote:
>>
>> I'm not that familiar with the Macintosh environment. Is SQL*Net available
>> on the mac and what transport choices are there? I've heard a rumor that
>> Powerbuilder will be ported someday to the Mac, and would like to get a
>> feeling of how that would be supported in access to an Oracle database.
>
>We've been using SQL*Net in a Mac only environment to access Oracle for
>years. It's definatly available! We use TCP/IP, ethernet. I heard the
>same thing about Powerbuilder. But in the mean time, try 4th Dimention.
>It is an extremely effective DBMS that can also front an Oracle db.

I would agree with Ed that 4th Dimension is an nice DBMS, but be aware that contrary to the labeling on the outside of the box, 4th Dimension is not a Relational DBMS.

If you review Codd's Twelve Rules for Database Design werein he posits rules for determining how relational a DBMS really is, 4th Dimension fails to meet almost every rule. [Oracle version 6 failed to satsify every rule, but they did satisfy nearly all of them.]

Michael Sallwasser  | Down one path is utter dispair and hopelessness. Down
Northrop Grumman    | the other is total destruction. Let us choose wisely.