Re: PowerBuilder vs VisualBasic vs Oracle's CDE vs C++ vs SQLWindows vs ?

From: Gunther Birznieks <birzniek_at_nova.umd.edu>
Date: 14 Jun 1994 20:37:57 -0400

In <1994Jun14.154747.19154_at_berlioz.nsc.com> tnutter_at_spcfs2.nsc.com (Ted Nutter) writes:

>Hi

>How about CA-Realizer?

>Also - has anyone used Databoss for Windows? I am not very impressed with it,
>I would like to hear from other users.

2 years ago I was very impressed with DATABOSS for DOS... It was incredibly neat how you could use a high level painter (almost like CASE) to paint your forms and reports and have DATABOSS Generate "C" code for you. I used it for several projects. Modifying the "C" Code was easy as pie too because all you had to do was modify the SKELETON CODE underneath it and then use the new skeleton for the particular project.

I think they could have commented their code better. I do not know anything about Databoss for Windows because as soon as I started doing Client-Server development, the whole tools scenario changed.

>Has anyone out there used Powerbuilder Desktop edition? Is it worth buying?
>Would it be a good development tool to create standalone database apps?

I like it. It tends to crash a bit, but there have been DLL updates that have massively fixed that (At least for a coworker of mine). I use the Enterprise edition and find it to be quite stable now (Or maybe I just instinctly dont do what made it crash ;)).

One of the nice things about Powersoft is that they publish updates to their programs once a month to fix all the latest bugs. Its like pulling teeth to get a software fix from Borland or Microsoft for Visual Basic.

Later,
  Gunther Received on Wed Jun 15 1994 - 02:37:57 CEST

Original text of this message