Re: Reports 2.0.13 & ASCII Files

From: Glenn Nicholas <Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 17:13:35 +0000

Paul,

Have you investigated the use of Oracle Glue?

You can read from the database directly into your wp document. There are examples with the Glue software that show how this is done with MS Word and Ami Pro, but other Windows wp systems can also support the DDE link. You mentioned you wanted to avoid Forms and DDE - well, this way you could avoid Forms, but not DDE. 1 out of 2.

Regards,

Glenn Nicholas.

In article <2t9vju$abm_at_nic.hookup.net>

           pberger_at_nic.hookup.net "Paul Berger" writes:
:Hi I need help with a problem I am having in Reports 2.0.13.
:
:I would like to be able to dump a mailing list from Oracle7 to an ASCII
:(system) file using Reports. This ASCII file would then be imported into
:a word processor for further manipulation. O.K...great....sort of. I
:use the WIN/OS2 Generic/Text Print Driver in an attempt to create this
:ASCII file. However I only get one line of text truncated at column 80
:in my ASCII file...not quite what I want.
:
:If I dump the same report to the (destype) screen I get exactly what I
:anticipate. It looks like the Generic/Text printer driver is somewhat
:limited in scope in this regard. Oracle Reports for Windows no longer
:support the concept of a printdef printer file so I think I am toast.
:
:I suppose I could use Forms and DDE to accomplish my task but I would
:prefer not to.
:
:All suggestions and observations are welcome....thanks in advance!

--
Glenn Nicholas, Concept Personnel     |   Internet: Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk
Ph:  +44 908 221313                   | Compuserve: 100070,3562