Re: Recommendations for Unix Oracle server

From: RSCary <rscary_at_aol.com>
Date: 13 Jun 1994 00:33:01 -0400

In article <gerstel-070694140912_at_mach62.irhe.upenn.edu>, gerstel_at_underground.irhe.upenn.edu (Brian Gerstel) writes:

Hi Brian,

I've had experience with SAS and Oracle on several of the machines you are interested in selecting. SAS runs best on the single processor with fast floating point machines like the HP and IBM but Oracle likes multi-processor machines like Sun and Sequent because it makes good use of all the processors you give it. We also noticed with Sun OS (not Solaris) that SAS and Oracle required different tuning of the UNIX kernel so they didn't make good mates on the same machine. This is probably not a problem with Solaris but we continue to keep them on different machines.

Hope this helps.
Scott Cary
Database Administration
BCBSO Received on Mon Jun 13 1994 - 06:33:01 CEST

Original text of this message