Performance difference between v6 and v7 for NetWare?

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 08:37:11 -0500

It depends on the situation -- for a well-designed, well-tuned database where all queries were perfectly optimized, the performance gain is minor, but noticable. In a database that was a little off-kilter or where the queries weren't well-designed, the perfomance gain is significant.

  • Quoting Richard W Harris to All dated 06-09-94 ***
    > b) Minor but noticable
    > c) Good
    > d) Amazing
    >
    > 2. Will loading the server up with RAM help in the speed at which a
    > view is
    > processed? Right now we're using an HP NetServer 4d/66 LM with
    > 32Mb RAM.
    > We'll be upgrading the server to at least 96Mb RAM when we go to
    > Oracle 7
    > next month. I just want to know if some of my dog-slow views will
    > get any
    > faster...
    The answer is yes and no -- of course, you will need to put that RAM to use -- when you're doing something as performance-sucking as a view, you can't expect RAM or Oracle 7 to make it run as fast as a base-table query, but by boosting the row cache and the cursor area in the SGA, you can use your RAM to help mitigate your disk I/O, which can be outrageous if you're doing something like joining to a view, where the view usually has to be resolved first and stored in the temporary tablespace.