Re: probs with odbc driver...

From: NGUYEN <knguyen_at_du.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 17:49:38 GMT

In article <2t5vhs$1ma_at_search01.news.aol.com> rcronau_at_aol.com (RCronau) writes:
>In article <2t57l6$g9k_at_blackice.winternet.com>, heilja_at_winternet.com
>(Joseph Heil) writes:
>
>> Hello,
>> The problem here is during a delete query, with large amounts
>> of data being deleted( over 150 records ), from a MS. Access
>> application connected to a Oracle7 db, an error of -7711
 occures.
>> Has anyone who has worked with MS Access and Oracle7 with
 ODBC
>> seen this error, and know what causes it?
>> As always, all responces are appreciated. Thanks in advance
>> J.Heil
>
>I am not familiar with that particular error, however I do know that
>attaching to Oracle tables and working with large volumes of data
>chokes ODBC. I believe that it has to do with the buffering of the
>data within ODBC to support various SQL commands. Unfortunately, I
>have not been able to test my theory as of yet. Real work gets in
>the way.
>
>Rick (rcronau_at_aol.com)

Rick, I also notice the same thing. I also notice that the problem occurs a lot more when you are in the preview mode of the dynaset. However, the problem does not seem to be as bad if you link a report to a query, and view the data in the report. Also, I notice that the more memory you have on your PC, the less ODBC problem you will have.

Furthermore, whenever ODBC chokes and terminates MS-Access, it leaves a dangling session in Oracle7. I think this may be because of the way SQL*Net handles TCP, but I think the problem is also related to ODBC also.

Nguyen Nguyen

BTW, has anyone used the ODBC drivers from Q+E? How is it compared to other versions of ODBC? Received on Thu Jun 09 1994 - 19:49:38 CEST

Original text of this message