Re: how does Oracle handle changes to system time of day

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 94 06:49:03 GMT

In article <Cr0D53.FKy_at_cmutual.com.au> aaj_at_cmutual.com.au writes:

>In article <2sp761INNao1_at_life.ai.mit.edu>, sundar_at_ai.mit.edu (Sundar> Narasimhan)
>writes:
>> Hi, I'd like to know how people keep correct time on
>> their machines running Oracle. (i.e. programs like
>> rdate end up changing the time of day clock on Unix machines).
>> I've been hearing that bad things can happen to a continuously running
>> Oracle database if one uses programs like rdate or timed. So
>> what is the right solution?
>
>A similar question was put to Oracle about a year and a half ago. It was to
>do with daylight saving. Basically, bad luck if you need to
>recover your database using archive logs in the one hour that was put back in
>time. Putting the time forward is OK, setting it back is a problem.
>
>ta
>tony

I'm a bit confused here, I thought that unix dates/times are always relative to January 1960 (or something) and is always in GMT or something? So it doesn't matter if you have daylight saving on or not? Or even in a different time zone. If not, what happens to distributed databases which are located in different time zones?

Totally Lost :-(

|Philip Chee: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my| This is a work of fiction.Any resemblance |
|Tasek Cement Berhad              |  to persons living or dead is completely  |
|P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA| coincidental. The creator of this article |
|Voice: +605-551-011              |    has asserted its moral right to be     |
|  Fax: +605-566-142              |          identified as the author.        |
+-------------------Eigi-Eru-Enn-Allir-Jomsvikingar-Daudir!-------------------+