Re: Recommendations for Unix Oracle server

From: <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 13:48:04 CET

Under ORACLE version 6 I experienced the following difference between two unix systems :

     a symmetric multiprocessor system (Sequent / ptx)
     and a single processor(Compaq / SCO)

A user could inadvertently ask the system to perform a very cumbersome query requiring a lot of CPU.

OK the multiprocessor was a bigger system, but it seemed to be able to handle this type of query without too much impact of the other users. Whereas, on the single processor system, this type of query immediately affected other users.

Sorry this is a bit vague, but I had no conslusive proof that the multiprocessor architecture was better in this case, just a 'feeling'. However, I would suggest you also consider single versus multiprocessor systems

Good luck, Kevin.

Kevin Johnson                      EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
Information Administrator
European Space Agency              DISCLAIMER :  These views are mine
ESRIN, FRASCATI, ITALIA.                         not necessarily those
                                                 of my employer.