HELP! Can I recover from this?

From: Tim Michael <tim_at_sol.rtsg.mot.com>
Date: 7 Jun 1994 22:31:28 GMT

Hi.

I have 3 oracle databases running on a Motorola Delta 8000. All 3 are very plain in that they use mostly default settings and have only one (1) tablespace created at installation time. All 3 are of size 10487808 with 2 log files each which are of size 512512. All 3 have been running quite happily for 2+ years.

Upon examining the daily export results, I noticed the following error:

EXP-00014: error on row 135 of table USERS System error message: No such file or directory EXP-00008: ORACLE error 1578 encountered ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 1, block # 2152)

Any attempt to query the table USERS fails with the error ORA-01578.

Oracle error 1578 says:

ORA-1578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file #NUM, block #NUM)

Cause: The given data block was corrupted, probably as a result

       of program errors.

Action: Try to restore the segment containing the given data block.

	This may involve dropping the segment and recreating it. If
	there is a trace file, report the errors recorded in it to
	your Customer Support Representative.

Well, we don't currently have support from oracle, and before I go goofing around with segments (which I know very little about), I had the machine rebooted (gracefull shutdown of oracle) with a file system check performed. Indeed, the fsck found some errors that it said were resolved and all 3 database instances were started properly.

Ok, I thought, I'll just import the most recent exports that are error free. According to my export log, all were indeed error free. Import had the following to say:

. . importing table "AAAAAAA" 22 rows imported
. . importing table "BBBBBBB" 97 rows imported
. . importing table "CCCCCCC" 11 rows imported
. . importing table "DDDDDDD"

IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1547 encountered
ORA-01547: failed to allocate extent of size 140 in tablespace 'SYSTEM'
IMP-00028: partial import of previous table rollbacked: 1281 rows rollbacked

. . importing table "EEEEEEE" 1 rows imported
. . importing table "FFFFFFF" 1330 rows imported
. . importing table "GGGGGGG"
IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1547 encountered
ORA-01547: failed to allocate extent of size 140 in tablespace 'SYSTEM' IMP-00028: partial import of previous table rollbacked: 3690 rows rollbacked Import terminated successfully with warnings.

Oracle error 1547 says:

ORA-1547: Failed to allocate extent of size *NUM* in tablespace *NAME*

Cause: The tablespace does not have enough free space to allocate

       the requested extent of *NUM* blocks.

Action: Use the ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE statement to add one

	or more files to the tablespace indicated, or create the
	object in another tablespace if this happens during a
	CREATE statement.

These errors occur randomly in 2 of the 3 databases when attempting to import data. The errors are not consistent with the tables showing errors in the export log. The 3rd database imports without errors and everything seems to be ok.

There should be plenty of room for these tables as they have all lived there in the past. Did the reboot with fsck cause any problems? Is there any way to recover from this situation?

Thanks,
Tim Michael Received on Wed Jun 08 1994 - 00:31:28 CEST

Original text of this message