Memory

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 13:08:00 -0500

I'm running O7 7.16 under SCO Unix 3.2.4.2. 16 Meg memory, 16 Meg swap. 2 Instances taking 1.5 meg and 4 meg respectively. I run a process that hits on the smaller one, reading records and outputting. This process gets re-invoked about 50 times for different tables. The system starts swapping immediately and levels out with 30% swap used.

After running for about 15 minutes, I get Can't Fork process
messages, which Oracle tells me means I need more memory. Oracle also told me to double my swap space.

SCO tells me I need more memory and also that it doesn't matter how much swap space I have at this point. Huh?

Isn't the point of swap to act as slow memory?

How much memory DO I need to run O7? Received on Tue Jun 07 1994 - 20:08:00 CEST

Original text of this message