Calling forms within forms

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 94 09:04:26 -0500

  • Quoting Ha Kong Kuen to All dated 06-03-94 ***
    > I have developed several forms. Some are simple for simple
    > maintenance of decode lists (say department code) and some
    > are more complicated one (say updating staff records).
    > My problem is if I am updating a staff record and find that the
    > department code is missing, I would like to re-call that simple form
    > and insert and commit that dept to database.
    > How can I do this?

You have many options available. I'll list a few: 1) Use the Run_Product built-in to call another instance of Forms; it will run asynchronously, and have a separate connection to the database, allowing any kind of manipulation you wish. This option gives you the least control, but it easy.
2) Combine the two forms into a single form, and explicitly change blocks when needed. This provides the greatest control, and has the advantage of using a single transaction stream.

3) Use Call_Form to call the other form... Depending on how you call it, it may prevent updates to the calling form; you may prevent that by forcing a commit/rollback before the call.

4) Use New_Form and allow the user to switch back and forth freely, as per buttons, menu items, etc. Received on Tue Jun 07 1994 - 16:04:26 CEST

Original text of this message