Re: how does Oracle handle changes to system time of day

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_cmutual.com.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 03:46:14 GMT

Sundar

In article <2sp761INNao1_at_life.ai.mit.edu>, sundar_at_ai.mit.edu (Sundar Narasimhan) writes:
> Hi, I'd like to know how people keep correct time on
> their machines running Oracle. (i.e. programs like
> rdate end up changing the time of day clock on Unix machines).
> I've been hearing that bad things can happen to a continuously running
> Oracle database if one uses programs like rdate or timed. So
> what is the right solution?

A similar question was put to Oracle about a year and a half ago. It was to do with daylight saving. Basically, bad luck if you need to recover your database using archive logs in the one hour that was put back in time. Putting the time forward is OK, setting it back is a problem.

This problem exist for all other types of programs/applications that is time dependent not just Oracle's.

ta
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ____ |Tony Jambu, Database Administrator
  /_  _        /_ __ /       |Colonial Mutual Invest Mgmt,Aust (ACN004021809)