Re: What affects performance?

From: Andy Paradis <peg2ajp_at_sherritt.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 14:57:51 GMT

In article <2sk35o$80v_at_goshen.connected.com> slores_at_goshen.connected.com (Kurt Schmidt) writes:
>In article <Cqq0no.9x9_at_boi.hp.com>, Jack Parker <jparker_at_boi.hp.com> wrote:

>>For example: What's
>>faster a Maserati or a schoolbus? But are you trying to win the Indy 500
>>or move people from point a to point b? Sure the Maserati can get there 3
>>times faster but it can only carry two people.
>>

>I think it would be quite worthwhile to describe, or to try to describe, various
>parameters that influence the performance of a system. Or in the words of
>the example above, mentioning to the reader that the number of people
>being transported must be taken into consideration, as well as the speed
>priority. Other items could include information on how to analyze the data
>being stored, in order to make a reasonable decision (ex.: if BLOBs are
>involved, what would be of importance? If BLOBs are NOT involved, would the
>same parameters need to be considered?). Sky's pretty high, but we did touch
>it, and went even farther :-).

Even if it is a school bus it requires tuning to maintain performance or improve performance. After all a school with a flat tire or burnt ignition coil gets the the passengers nowhere fast.

--
Andy Paradis				email: peg2ajp_at_agchem.sherritt.ca
Database Administrator			phone: (403) 998-6110

Working for: Sherritt Inc. IT group