IPC in ODBC implementations on UN*X ???

From: Nick Maximov <maxs_at_kaija.spb.su>
Date: 6 Jun 1994 18:59:16 GMT

Does anybody know which standard has a maximum benefits for interprocess communications in an ODBC implementations? What I mean is which format of driver library will be chosen by leading companies in database technology (Oracle, SyBase, etc)? And what it will be looking like? RPC or shared library?

I need answers now because I developing some software, and I have to purchase this kind of software.
I have a lot of problems because I shuld and I *want* to get a databases service at BSDI Unix (as I know this system does not attract their attention at all, I can't figure out why.) So, I need to have two systems now - BSDI with its very good internetworking functions and SCO Unix with Oracle RDBMS and I really need to get them work togather!

Some time ago I asked anybody why Oracle wouldn't publishing their SQL*Net specification. Only one answer I got is that it is *internal* standard not for reading by anyone. So bad, because it is makes very hard to develop software that is compatible with modern OS's that Oracle is not released yet.

Another solution may be either ODBC or IDAPI, but, however I am unable to find out any of these implemented on Unix. I have to write my own implementation and give it public shareware/freeware status. Maybe I'll find co-programmer. Everybody are welcomed to start work.

Unhpefully I have no enough information, so what standard of linking ODBC drivers will be chosen by Oracle, for example? Which one should I choose to start development? I cannot offer my own standard (however I have one) because I will not be accepted by anyone from leaders.

Please any responses by direct mail to maxs_at_adnserv.kaija.spb.su

--
nick