Re: Return character in long fields??

From: Leo Mannhart <mannhart_at_zuv.unizh.ch>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 07:09:25 GMT

In article <s68.94.2DEB92AE_at_ornl.gov>, s68_at_ornl.gov (Steve Stansfield) wrote:

> I'm trying to set up an Oracle 7 table to maintain about 100 reports. These
> reports originate as text files with about 5000 characters. I would like to
> have one field for the report name and another as the text of the report. I
> want to develop an application in either ObjectView or Powerbuilder in which
> the user inputs or selects from a list the report name and the contents of the
> report are displayed.
>
> I've set up a table with a 'long' datatype for the text. Using SQL*Loader, it
> appears that the report text got loaded into the field but when I try to
> display the data in ObjectView/Powerbuilder or SQL Plus, It all shows up on
> one line. Is there a way to force a carriage return/line feed?

For PB I don't know but in SQL*Plus you say SET LONG 500
COLUMN your_long_column_name FOMRAT A60 WORD_WRAP This should do the trick. You can check it always with the viewdefinition (e.g. select viewtext from views where viewname = 'MY_VIEW'). You're also allowed to insert CR's (CHR(10)) into your columns.

> Steve Stansfield (615)241-3693
> Computing & Telecommunications Services S68_at_ornl.gov
> Martin Marietta Energy Systems
> Oak Ridge, TN

Hope this helps
LM