Re: File Systems vs. Raw Devices

From: David E. Zuzga <dzuzga_at_interaccess>
Date: 2 Jun 1994 21:24:01 GMT

Okay, I have a further question about Oracle and raw devices... Is there any problem with raw devices over 2Gb in Solaris 2.3 and Oracle 7.0.16.4? This is kind of a weird problem, but let me know if any of you have experienced the same.

I created a tablespace on a raw device that has a size of about 3.75GB. I then loaded data into this tablespace and created an index on the table without any errors. Now, when I go to access the data, I get errors like:

	ORA-01115:  IO error reading block from file 9 (block 1512057)
	ORA-01110:  data file 9:  '/dev/rdsk/c0t6d0s6'
	ORA-07371:  sfrfb:  lseek error, unable to seek to requested block

The strange part is that I can access data in the table up to the block where it crosses the 2GB boundary. Everything after that is unaccessable. The table and index also pass the ANALYZE ... VALIDATE STRUCTURE tests.

Any ideas?

Dave Zuzga (dzuzga_at_interaccess.com) Received on Thu Jun 02 1994 - 23:24:01 CEST

Original text of this message