Re: Oracle 7 & Netware 3.12 ..

From: Lamar Milligan <lamarm_at_moe.coe.uga.edu>
Date: 2 Jun 1994 00:58:17 GMT

Adam Thompson (thompsn_at_cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:
: In <2sfmmr$d46_at_hobbes.cc.uga.edu> lamarm_at_moe.coe.uga.edu (Lamar Milligan) writes:
: >We are trying to run a Powerbuilder application (MS Windows front end)

: Have fun. I'm developing against ORA7 on NW312, deploying against
: ORA7 on AIX311. Neither is any fun at all.

: I feel fairly confident in saying that Oracle7 for Netware, while
: fairly stable, is nowhere near as stable as Oracle7 for AIX. Or
: MVS. Or VMS. Or .... <pick your favourite OS>

: Get hold of the prerelease 7.0.16.* copy for Netware -- some of my
: problems went away. (Notably, the Oracle RDBMS no longer **HANGS**
: my netware server!)

As I type, 7.0.16.some.shit is running ...

: >2. Would moving back to NW3.11 make the system more stable?

: Doubtful. The possibility exists, since ORA7 was tested against
: specific versions of MATHLIB.NLM, STREAMS.NLM, CLIB.NLM, etc. - the
: versions on NW3.12 are newer than the tested versions for Oracle.
: (This sounds fishy, but that's what I've been told.)

I've heard of stranger things happening on Netware systems...

: >3. Once the system is stable, how do we maintain a synchronized copy
: > of the database on a standby server?

: 1) Oracle Parallel Server
: 2) Oracle Distributed Database

Did you say another copy of Oracle ? 8-0 oh, my god .....

: >This is to be a critical application, and I want it to be completely
: >dependable. Any suggestions are welcome, helpful ones are preferable. ;-)

: If it's critical, why are you using PowerBuilder?

Good point. I'll have to ask the app vendor about that... Seriously, the vendor is using Powerbuilder, and is proud of the fact.

Lamar Milligan Received on Thu Jun 02 1994 - 02:58:17 CEST

Original text of this message