Re: File Systems vs. Raw Devices

From: Output Services <output_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 01:56:02 GMT

In article <769980158snz_at_istellar.demon.co.uk> v_at_istellar.demon.co.uk writes:
>One thing to note, however. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
>
>If you're planning to use raw devices on a disk, partition a must be
>1 block in size only. ORACLE needs this. I learned this from bitter
>experience.....

You must be referring to that one sentence on one page in one manual that says you must start the raw partition on cylinder 1, not 0.

Pay close attention to this warning. If you choose not to, then pay close attention to the part that says to do a full export before mucking with the file systems.

I switched our system to raw FS last night. I screwed it up so bad that at 4am I slapped in the Oracle CD-ROM to do a complete reinstall. If you start a raw partition at cyl 0, then everything looks great, until you reboot. Oracle flat refuses to come up, the disk labels are gone, and the partition tables are scrambled.

No fun.

Marty Received on Thu Jun 02 1994 - 03:56:02 CEST

Original text of this message