Client-server development packages

From: James Hong <thongj_at_tus.ssi1.com>
Date: 1 Jun 1994 20:02:33 GMT

Dear Netters

My company is in the progress of building a computing infrastructure based on a three-tier client-server paradigm. We are looking for development packages which give us the tools to do so. Following is our requirements for such package:

Support a three-tier client-server architecture. Deployment of client software on multiple platform i.e. HP/UX Motif, SUN/OpenWIn, VAX/MOTIF, Character Mode Terminal, Mac, and PC Window Database read/write access to Oracle 6 and 7, VAX RMS and VAX Rdb GUI based Object-Oriented programming environment Programming interface to C/C++.
Support remote procedure call in a distributed environment. Preferable DCE compliance product.
Project management tools
Support team programming environment.

I realize that there may not be a single package that meets all our requirements. I am interested to find out what tools are available for us to use. Any comments about building such system and experience of using any client-server tools are welcome. If anyone had done something like what we try to accomplish, please share with us about your experience, obstacles and tools you used. We are currently evaluating UNIFACE, Neuron Data, Unify Vision and OEC toolkits. Any comments about those packages ?

Thanks in Advance Received on Wed Jun 01 1994 - 22:02:33 CEST

Original text of this message