Re: ?? ODBC or IDAPI on Unix Platforms ??

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 11:17:15

In article <770390553snz_at_arcfan.demon.co.uk> Alex_at_arcfan.demon.co.uk (Alex McLintock) writes:
>In article <2s2qkpINN1u8_at_dur-news.ctron.com>
> muise_at_ctron.com "John B. Muise" writes:

>> Does anyone know if there are any implementations of
>> ODBC or IDAPI on any of the following unix platforms:
>>
>> Sun: SunOS 4.1.x, Solaris 2.x
>> DEC: Ultrix
>> SGI: Iris
>> IBM: AIX

>Nigel was correct in that ODBC is a Microsoft Windows
>protocol/interface however you will need to ask
>MS if and when they will be implementing ODBC for Unix.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Microsoft to implement ODBC on Unix - they'd MUCH rather have you abandon Unix for NT.

Actually, Microsoft doesn't have to - the ODBC API and specifications are published and anyone, not just MS, can implement ODBC on Unix if they care to take the time to do so. There would probably be some licensing involved but then the WABI/PWI project gives some evidence to the contrary.

It is my understanding that Q+E Software was working on precisely what the original poster was asking about. How that project has been affected by Q+E's recent acquisition by Intersolv is unknown. Rumors also persist that other unnamed companies are also implementing the ODBC API on Unix but I have seen no official announcement.

--
Bill Meahan,  Senior Developer  |        wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com
Electrical & Fuel Handling Division, Ford Motor Company