Re: File system filling up

From: Alligator Descartes <v_at_istellar.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 12:22:46 +0000

In article <2sdf2a$56n_at_xmission.xmission.com>

           dfuller_at_xmission.com "umeboshi" writes:

> When importing multiple verisons of our Oracle databases, we filled up
> our file system. We figured it was because auto archiving was turned
> on. We turned it off in SQLDBA, deleted the redolog files and tried the
> import again. The import again stopped mid-stream. We thought it was
> because Oracle was waiting for a manual archive. We found that
> ARCHIVELOG was TRUE, and turned it off in the initXXXXX.ora file and
> restarted Oracle. Still no luck--it looked like our database again would
> not accept transactions. I figure the best thing to do is to leave
> ARCHIVELOG TRUE and delete the redolog files occasionally.
>
> Obviously, there is something we are missing. Can anyone help?

What sometimes happens in the case of the filesystem containing redo log files filling up is that a log file being archived is only partially written out or null, and you find that the archiver gets stuck. If you delete that partial log file, it may help you.

Otherwise, even though you turned automatic archiving off, your may still have your database in ARCHIVELOG mode. Do this:

% sqldba

SQLDBA> startup nomount;
SQLDBA> alter database mount exclusive;
SQLDBA> alter database noarchivelog;
SQLDBA> shutdown
SQLDBA> startup

And then: archive log list

and it should tell you that you are in NOARCHIVELOGMODE. That's the one you want.

Hope this helps......

--
Alligator Descartes
v_at_istellar.demon.co.uk