Re: Distributed Databases and Two-Phase Commit

From: Brian Douglas <briand_at_sequent.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 94 06:22:42 GMT

phart_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Patrick S Hart) writes:

>I am querying this NG for a possible solution to a problem. I am running a
>distributed system with a very slow transmission rate. I would like to update
>the remote machine in intervals as oppossed to a two-phase commit. I was
>wondering if there is a way to determine all the changes to one database during
>a time frame, and with that info., update the other server?

It sounds like you just want replicated data on the remote machine. Look at pushing the Oracle logs over to the remote machine and rolling them forward. That is a log completes on a tape, move the tape to the remote machine and roll forward. I don't know the specifics of doing this in Oracle, but I've done it in other DBMS (i.e. Informix).

--
Brian Douglass		Tuxedo and OLTP Training and Consulting
TPS, Inc.