SQL to count rows in Goup By query?

From: Bach Nguyen <bachn_at_diamond.zed.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 1994 23:58:03 GMT

Hi

Is it possible to write a single sql to get the number of rows returned in a Select query containing a Group By clause?

ex: workorder

    workorderID priority

	1	     M
        2            L
        3            L
        4            H
        5            M
        6            L

sql1) SELECT priority, count(priority) from workorder GROUP BY priority;

res1) priority count(priority)

         M		2
	 L		3
	 H		1

      total rows return: 3 rows.

I know in Access, we can do something like creating 2 queries. Second one running a count base on the first one.

query1: SELECT priority from workorder group by priority; query2: SELECT COUNT(priority) from query1;

thanks in advance

  Bach
  --

                        |Internet: aruba!bachn_at_uu2.psi.com
Bach Nguyen             |UUCP    : ...!uunet!uupsi2!aruba!bachn
Club Zed                |