Re: Oracle 7.0 / SQL*Net SPX / DOS Workstation Software

From: Nico de Vries <nevries_at_inter.NL.net>
Date: Sun, 29 May 1994 22:07:07 GMT

rwh4+_at_pitt.edu (Richard W Harris) writes:

>Hi,

>We're currently running Oracle 6 for NetWare, and or going to be upgrading to
>7 very soon.

>We have problems currently with the DOS client software, such as

>1. Oracle uses the environment variable CONFIG, which clashes with the DOS 6.0
> boot configuration utility.

I think you can also specify the environment variable as CONFIG_ORACLE.

>2. We have to mess with the machine configuration in order to free up enough
> memory for SQL*Plus and SQL*DBA. We have to comment out the CD-ROM drivers
> and EMM386, for starts (now you know why I'm interested in #1).

Make sure you are running Protected mode executables! You can use EMM386.EXE but you must use MACHINE_TYPE J. SQL*PME 2.2.14 and higher (which comes with the V7 client software) can handle the NOEMS option of EMM386. Another restriction is the DOS version but since you are using 6.0 that should be no problem.
Because SQL*PME and SQL*Net SPX requires some Real memory you can decide to load some drivers HI in the Upper Memory Area.

>Are any of these problems fixed with the version 7 client software?

>Thanks,

>- Rick

>--
>Richard Harris - Systems Analyst - Univ of Pittsburgh - rwh4+_at_pitt.edu
> "This is a friend of mine called Mike, this is a friend of mine called Neil,
> and this is a complete bastard I know called Rick."
> - Vivian, "The Young Ones."

Hope this helps else mail me directly... Received on Mon May 30 1994 - 00:07:07 CEST

Original text of this message