Re: COMMENTS, USER_TAB_COMMENTS. Comments?

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_cmutual.com.au>
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 02:48:11 GMT

In article <1994May24.152442.22774_at_oracle.us.oracle.com>, cgohring_at_lucifer (Carl Gohringer) writes:

> UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you EVERY attempt to manually update the
> Oracle data dictionary.
>
> These tables are meant to be updated by the kernel and the kernel only.
>
> This is not supported, and to boot, you are liable to mess things up quite
> severely, as the data dictionary is by no means in a format that even
> resembles normal form.
>

> --
> regards,
> Carl

> Carl Gohringer, Senior CASE Support Consultant
> Oracle UK, The Oracle Centre, The Ring, Bracknell, Berkshire, England,
> RG121BW
>
> Internet : cgohring_at_uk.oracle.com

I agree with Carl Gohringer that it is not acceptable to update/change anything in the Data Dictionary but the original posted wanted to know how to add/update a COMMENT for a table via SQL*Forms and why he is having the problems.

1st, it is LEGAL and is encouraged that developer add comments on tables and columns.

However, I was unaware that you could actually generate a form for the USER_TAB_COMMENTS or USER_COL_COMMENTS. Since you (David Yarwood) had the form generated, I assume it can be done.

A possible cause could be due to the fact that the view is made up of more than one base table. It is illegal to insert records into a view with multiple base tables. Not sure about updates.

Why not use the

        COMMENTS COMMENT ON TABLE user.table IS 'text' or

        COMMENT ON COLUMN user.table.column IS 'text'.

You could generate these statement from with your forms application.

Hope that helps

ta
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ____ |Tony Jambu, Database Administrator
  /_  _        /_ __ /       |Colonial Mutual Invest Mgmt,Aust (ACN004021809)