Re: ODBC and SQL string length

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 08:17:02

In article <2s12a8$15eb_at_source.asset.com> hissam_at_source.asset.com (Scott A. Hissam) writes:
>From: hissam_at_source.asset.com (Scott A. Hissam)
>Subject: ODBC and SQL string length
>Date: 25 May 1994 22:42:16 -0400

>Group,

>Using MS Excel V5.0, Visionware ODBC's Drivers (SQL_Retriever), and
>Oracle V7.0 on SunOS 4.1.3, I am beginning to notice that the SQL
>string that I pass to the ODBC call level interface to issue a query
>to the remote data is limited to 255 characters.

Under Excel 4.0, this was a limitation of EXCEL, not the underlying attachment facilities, that had to do with the number of characters that can be held by a single cell (255). Some of the third-party database connectivity packages have a workaround. With the Q+E Database Library, for example, you can build a SQL statement up to 64K by using a combination of qeSetSQL(), qeAppendSQL() and qeExecSQL(). I *think* you can do the equivalent with similarly-named API calls with ODBC (it's too early in the morning for my memory to be fully up and running)

I know for sure that other ODBC drivers (including the latest version of the PageAhead driver distributed by Microsoft - the first version had a bug) allow SQL statements up to 64K so it's not a limitation of ODBC per se.

Hope this helps.

--
Bill Meahan,  Senior Developer  |        wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com
Electrical & Fuel Handling Division, Ford Motor Company