Re: Is SQL*Plus a must...*really*?

From: Martin Farber <farber_at_nynexst.com>
Date: 25 May 1994 22:06:44 GMT

In article 1590_at_iglou.com, proberts_at_iglou.iglou.com (Phil Roberts) writes:
>shatzman_at_netcom.com (bs) writes:
>
>>jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com wrote:

>>: You can run DESCRIBE from SQL*DBA.

>>Really? I can't in V6 (ORA-900: Invalid SQL Statement). I don't
>>remember if i've tried in ORACLE7. Has this been added or am i missing
>>something?
>
>I tried it today in 6.0.36 and got an Invalid SQL Statement error. So
>is it possible in V7?
>--
>
> -------------------------
> Phil Roberts | proberts_at_iglou.com |
> -------------------------

I don't remember that far back, but in O7 SQL*DBA you *can* connect and describe, but don't try and abbreviate because "conn" doesn't work nor "descr". That's not including the fact that it is VERY unforgiving when it comes to errors. The only way to an editor is to host out.

My $0.02 on this thread in general:

o As crude a tool as SQL*Plus is at doing what it does - SQL&DBA is

        some factor WORSE.
o For an interactive environment for ad hoc queries, simple reports (format-wise),

        dba type tasks, etc - SQL*Plus does the job. o I would sooner run UNIX without a shell than Oracle with SQL*Plus - and both

        make about the same amount of sense!

---
<<MFF>>

"Twenty-Five years ago it meant something to be Crazy!"

			-- Charles Manson