Re: ? sql access over 9.6 kbps line ?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 25 May 1994 10:50:28 -0600

Yaakov Lerner (SDH-S) (lerner_at_ecitele.com) wrote:

> In practice, did anybody try or use SQL database access
> over 9.6 kbit/s line ? I mean, using TCP/IP and PPP as transport level ?
>
> What is the kind of speed you get ?
> Any experience with other baud rates over WAN, like 56..64 kbit/s ?
>
> For comparison: I tried X-protocol over 9.6 kbps, and I can say it worked
> in theory and as an example, but in *practice*, everything is so
> slow that very few people would want to use it every day.
>
> Please respond directly to: lerner_at_ecitele.com
>
> Jacob Lerner
> ECI Telecom, Inc

We have played with SQL*Net over SLIP over 14.4. Totally unacceptable response time for anything other than SQL*Plus.

Our app - MS-Windows on 486/66DX2 using Visual Basic, Q+E, SQL*Net V1 degraded from 3 sec direct TCP/IP over Ethernet to 75 sec TCP/IP over SLIP. Our response ... use a Windows - Windows comm pacjage such as 'Close-Up' or 'Remotely Possible' to name a few.

/Hans Received on Wed May 25 1994 - 18:50:28 CEST

Original text of this message