COMMENTS, USER_TAB_COMMENTS. Comments?

From: <msc9342_at_geovax.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 15:07:07 GMT

Hello,

Our problem is to keep a record of the tables and columns that are being inserted into our database by storing a description of each one within the database itself.

We know one alternative is to use the COMMENTS command. However we would prefer to use SQLFORMS to update the COMMENTS column in the USER_TAB_COMMENTS view(?) of the data dictionary.

As a first step we tried to change the privilege on this view but when we tried to perform an update were met with the rather surreal error message that this wasn't legal!!

Can anyone tell us if we are doing something wrong or how to remedy our problem,

Thanks in advance

David Yarwood, Duan Ming
Birkbeck College, London
yarwood_at_uk.ac.bbk.ge.earth Received on Tue May 24 1994 - 17:07:07 CEST

Original text of this message