Re: MS-Access via ODBC to Oracle:How hard?

From: <rudy>
Date: 24 May 94 09:55:05 EST

In article <1994May23.130948_at_cs.man.ac.uk> jeremy_at_cs.man.ac.uk (Jeremy Rogers) writes:
>I am interested in using MS-Access via ODBC to connect to a Unix box running
>Oracle, probably via a serial port connection. Does anybody have any
>experience of doing this? If you do, could you give me some idea of what this
>entails - I`ve little or no idea about the structure of an Oracle DB (but I know
>a man who does...) but I'm familiar with SQL and Access. Assuming I can get
>the two boxes talking, and log onto a suitable Oracle account, what happens
>next to type the database?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jeremy Rogers

you can't run client server thru a serial port. that is a server version of the program. ms access talk to ODBC and then to the sqlnet to oracle thru communication protocol. like tcp/ip. like sybase also you have to use a protocol. like tcp/ip, netbios, etc.
but not serial port. Received on Tue May 24 1994 - 16:55:05 CEST

Original text of this message