Re: Is Oracle Running?

From: Donal Daly <ddaly_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 08:19:27 GMT

In article <Cq464u.HIH_at_csn.org>, losburn_at_teal.csn.org (Lynn Osburn) writes:
|> >Is there a way to determine within a Cshell if Oracle is running?
|> >Currently we count the processes that begin with 'ora_' but I believe
|> >there has to be a better way. Thanks.
|>
|> Sure, check for the existance of $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadefSID.dbf
|> where SID is the SID for the instance in question. The file is created
|> when the instance is started, and it goes away when you shutdown the
|> database.

This will work for nearly all cases, except after a machine crash, where the sgadefSID.dbf will be left around. To be absolutly sure, I would first test for this file existence, and then test for a running ora_smon_SID process via ps.

 Donal Daly, (ddaly_at_ie.oracle.com)                                 Olivetti PLD
 Oracle Europe, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland

 Any opinions expressed above are my own!