File Systems vs. Raw Devices

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 94 17:01:00 -0500

-> Experiences using file systems and raw devices.
-> Which do you use (one, the other, or both)?
-> How have you implemented them and maintained them?
-> Have you migtrated between the two?
-> What are the administrative and operational problems of the two?
-> What are the performance gains (is there really a 50% gain in
-> using
-> raw devices over file systems)?
-> How did you achieve your performance gains (either with file
-> systems
-> or raw devices)?
-> Which is your preference and why?

Using SCO Unix with SCSI disks, I got about a 30% speed gain using raw partition, and also was able to cut my Unix cache a couple of meg.

I like them MUCH better because

  1. performance,
  2. not having to trust fragile filesystem code.

You must back them up using DD, which I don't mind. You must also think about sizing issues in the future, since it is very painful to re-divvy your disk when you need more. Then again, you should also do this with filesystems.

I think they are well worth any trouble assoicated with them. Received on Mon May 23 1994 - 00:01:00 CEST

Original text of this message